Mouth Guards in Grande Prairie
Dental Night Guards
Most commonly used for patients who experience teeth grinding or TMJ disorder; using a night guard assists for patients that clench their jaw and or grind their teeth while sleeping, leading to tooth wear, chipping and a reduced bite. Patients having a custom dental night guard made for their personal care and comfort prevent unconscious grinding.
A sports guard is essential for athletes in protecting their teeth and gums during gameplay; basketball, boxing, hockey, football, gymnastics, lacrosse, martial arts, racquetball, rugby, track and field, skateboarding, skiing and snowboarding, skydiving, soccer, surfing, volleyball, water polo, weightlifting, or wrestling are all activities that should be done with a protective sports guard.
Sports-related injuries to the mouth and jaw are one of the most common injuries incurred by athletes and sports enthusiasts. Be sure to ask us about a custom mouth guard at your next appointment — GO TEAM!
Mouth Guard Maintenance
Like a retainer, braces, or any other special dental appliance, it is important to take care of your mouthguard by storing it properly and keeping it clean, as well as knowing when to replace your old mouth guard with a new one.
Some simple ways to keep your mouthguard clean:
- Gently scrubbing your mouthguard after each use with a toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Storing your mouthguard in a protective case.
- Replacing your mouth guard when it has become worn or is no longer fitting properly.
- Do not wear a retainer with your mouth guard. If you wear braces, your dentist will help design a mouthguard to protect your teeth and your braces.
- Bringing your mouthguard to each dental checkup, so your dentist can ensure it is still acceptable for use.
Call or Request a Booking Online
Types of Mouth Guards
Dental night guards and sports guards are both protective tools that are custom-made for patients. If you are an athlete, in some sports head collisions are likely (hockey, football, soccer) you should wear an athletic mouthguard. We can help make recommendations for this.
Hi! I’m Dr. Stephen Schalk
BSc, DDS, Owner at West Grande Prairie Dental
And this web page has been reviewed and checked for accuracy by yours truly!